K9academy


HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in

 

 Ban on Shock Collar

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Author Message
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1628
Reputation : 120
Join date : 2009-09-28
Location : Southern California, USA

PostSubject: Ban on Shock Collar   Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:30 pm

Here's the whole article if you guys want to take a look at it: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/8537679.stm

But in short, the country of Wales has now banned the use of Shock collar for training animals. Its is the first country to do this in the UK and animal welfare organizations hope that other countries will do the same thing.

For many years have animal welfare organization campaigned to get these aversive tools banned and that work has paid off for them. The RSPCA said it was a "great day for animal welfare in Wales" and the Kennel Club said it was a "huge milestone".

So what do you guys think? Step forward?

_________________


For more information on your furry companion visit K9Domain!
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
Betterdog4u
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 1139
Reputation : 222
Join date : 2009-10-19
Location : Eastern Iowa

PostSubject: Re: Ban on Shock Collar   Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:43 am

I personally dont like them, so Id say its a step in the right direction!!!

_________________
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit Patchs' Website
My Best Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit Neka's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit Chip's Memorial Website

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ABETTERDOG4U.com
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1628
Reputation : 120
Join date : 2009-09-28
Location : Southern California, USA

PostSubject: Re: Ban on Shock Collar   Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:14 pm

Ya I agree with you. I mean some people say that shock collars are good for teaching snake aversion but I'm thinking there are other better ways to do it, and way too many people abuse these things too quickly.

Wonder if other areas will start doing that same?

_________________


For more information on your furry companion visit K9Domain!
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
lucysnewmum
Academy Guru
Academy Guru


Posts : 161
Reputation : 37
Join date : 2010-01-12
Location : bournemouth, england

PostSubject: Re: Ban on Shock Collar   Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:55 pm

i have never liked the idea of shock collars, never understood the need to cause a dog pain or create fear! lets hope they extend it to the use of those horrible collars that pinch a dog's neck when they lead pull too! and lets hope that the trend of fear and dominance is coming to an end. sadly though, i think the less well informed dog owners (or the downright uncaring individuals who own dogs for money and illegal means) wont take a blind bit of notice of the ban!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
schnauzkyLVR
Academy Guru
Academy Guru
avatar

Posts : 334
Reputation : 43
Join date : 2009-11-06
Location : Seattle, WA

PostSubject: Re: Ban on Shock Collar   Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:14 pm

ive never used one and i think you can train your dog just fine without one. I agree with this!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1628
Reputation : 120
Join date : 2009-09-28
Location : Southern California, USA

PostSubject: Re: Ban on Shock Collar   Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:14 pm

lucysnewmum wrote:
i have never liked the idea of shock collars, never understood the need to cause a dog pain or create fear! lets hope they extend it to the use of those horrible collars that pinch a dog's neck when they lead pull too! and lets hope that the trend of fear and dominance is coming to an end. sadly though, i think the less well informed dog owners (or the downright uncaring individuals who own dogs for money and illegal means) wont take a blind bit of notice of the ban!

I'm definitely with you on the fear and dominance thing! On dog forums you tend to notice that less and less people advocate the use of these kinds of methods but in other places that aren't so "dog-litterate" such as Yahoo Answers (which I sometimes go on) you get all sorts of the alpha/dominance stuff that it leaves you mouth-open! The problem I think about it is....sickly enough....is that punishment type methods can sometimes be rewarding to the punisher and thats why some people are quick to resort to it... No

_________________


For more information on your furry companion visit K9Domain!
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
lucysnewmum
Academy Guru
Academy Guru


Posts : 161
Reputation : 37
Join date : 2010-01-12
Location : bournemouth, england

PostSubject: Re: Ban on Shock Collar   Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:41 pm

i've seen the posts you mean on yahoo....horrible! and clueless some of them! having said that, thankfully, there is a huge shift towards the kind, reward based training that we all crave. and lets face it - its not just kind for the dogs its a technique that is so much kinder to us,,,,,no more yelling...no more lead pulling,,,, no more tug of war with toys, unless we want to play that game. its a win win situation i think. and much nicer too for other people to witness the care and compassion we show our dogs which has to be educational in its own right! what better way to spread the word than by leading by example? i know when i get under way with my training classes etc there will be a huge emphasis on kindness and fun! i wont be training anyone to competition standard - i will be educating owners on how to get the best out of their furry pals with kindness, understanding, patience and the odd treat or two!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lucysnewmum
Academy Guru
Academy Guru


Posts : 161
Reputation : 37
Join date : 2010-01-12
Location : bournemouth, england

PostSubject: Re: Ban on Shock Collar   Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:42 pm

p.s. and maybe a clicker or two thrown in for good measure! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1628
Reputation : 120
Join date : 2009-09-28
Location : Southern California, USA

PostSubject: Re: Ban on Shock Collar   Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:54 pm

lucysnewmum wrote:
i've seen the posts you mean on yahoo....horrible! and clueless some of them! having said that, thankfully, there is a huge shift towards the kind, reward based training that we all crave. and lets face it - its not just kind for the dogs its a technique that is so much kinder to us,,,,,no more yelling...no more lead pulling,,,, no more tug of war with toys, unless we want to play that game. its a win win situation i think. and much nicer too for other people to witness the care and compassion we show our dogs which has to be educational in its own right! what better way to spread the word than by leading by example? i know when i get under way with my training classes etc there will be a huge emphasis on kindness and fun! i wont be training anyone to competition standard - i will be educating owners on how to get the best out of their furry pals with kindness, understanding, patience and the odd treat or two!!!!

Yes some people on there are litterally clueless... Frustrated

Best we can do right now is change thinking a little at a time, and starting your own training class is definitely a good way I mean you don't only teach those that attend your class but some of them will eventually tell others and so on. I'm all with you about it being better for the both of us, some people say that aversive methods also take a lot less time but in many cases using positive techniques such as Shaping take A LOT less than aversive methods.

_________________


For more information on your furry companion visit K9Domain!
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
lucysnewmum
Academy Guru
Academy Guru


Posts : 161
Reputation : 37
Join date : 2010-01-12
Location : bournemouth, england

PostSubject: Re: Ban on Shock Collar   Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:30 pm

sure....aversive methods are quicker! but i wouldn't want a dog on the end of a lead that was scared of me!!!! far better to take a little while longer with the training and have a happy, eager dog who is keen to please!

talking of aversive methods - i just watched a video on youtube of Barbara Woodhouse- training dogs the woodhouse way from the 1980's. affraid those poor dogs!!!! thanks goodness we have moved on!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1628
Reputation : 120
Join date : 2009-09-28
Location : Southern California, USA

PostSubject: Re: Ban on Shock Collar   Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:34 pm

lucysnewmum wrote:
sure....aversive methods are quicker! but i wouldn't want a dog on the end of a lead that was scared of me!!!! far better to take a little while longer with the training and have a happy, eager dog who is keen to please!

talking of aversive methods - i just watched a video on youtube of Barbara Woodhouse- training dogs the woodhouse way from the 1980's. affraid those poor dogs!!!! thanks goodness we have moved on!

Well most of us have moved on, there are some TV dog trainers that are stuck in the 1980's ROFL Frustrated

_________________


For more information on your furry companion visit K9Domain!
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
lucysnewmum
Academy Guru
Academy Guru


Posts : 161
Reputation : 37
Join date : 2010-01-12
Location : bournemouth, england

PostSubject: Re: Ban on Shock Collar   Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:43 pm

not this one you will be pleased to hear! Grin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1628
Reputation : 120
Join date : 2009-09-28
Location : Southern California, USA

PostSubject: Re: Ban on Shock Collar   Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:06 pm

lucysnewmum wrote:
not this one you will be pleased to hear! Grin

Indeed! You keep up the good work! Cool

_________________


For more information on your furry companion visit K9Domain!
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Ban on Shock Collar   

Back to top Go down
 

Ban on Shock Collar

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
K9academy :: Media Forums :: Recent News Stories -
Make a forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Free forum