K9academy


HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in

 

 Petstores

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Author Message
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1628
Reputation : 120
Join date : 2009-09-28
Location : Southern California, USA

PostSubject: Petstores   Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:16 pm

Many dog lovers know that its best to steer away from buying dogs from pet stores, mainly because of the condition they are kept in before selling the dogs and also because of the behavioral problems that may arise, but what about other pets? Do you think its still wrong to buy pets such as hamsters, snakes, fish, etc from the pet store from which we wouldn't consider buying a dog? If you think its wrong where else would you think is better to buy these pets from? If you think its alright, why?

Just curious, thought this would be a good discussion topic Just watching

_________________


For more information on your furry companion visit K9Domain!
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
Ann
Academy Professor
Academy Professor
avatar

Posts : 534
Reputation : 175
Join date : 2009-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Petstores   Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:13 am

DeeOhGee's guinea pig came from the local shelter. They had several. Rabbits, snakes, rats, hamsters and ferrets too. At least one of the local pet stores either raises their own or buys them locally when the babies are born in someone's home. Chinchilla's are often raised on crappy farms but as far as I know the other animals are not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1628
Reputation : 120
Join date : 2009-09-28
Location : Southern California, USA

PostSubject: Re: Petstores   Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:38 pm

Ann wrote:
DeeOhGee's guinea pig came from the local shelter. They had several. Rabbits, snakes, rats, hamsters and ferrets too. At least one of the local pet stores either raises their own or buys them locally when the babies are born in someone's home. Chinchilla's are often raised on crappy farms but as far as I know the other animals are not.

Ya I was wondering how that situation went like... I mean I don't believe there is an over population of small animals (like ferrets) but its always possible for insensitive jerks to try to expand their profit by not having good areas to keep them.

_________________


For more information on your furry companion visit K9Domain!
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
Ann
Academy Professor
Academy Professor
avatar

Posts : 534
Reputation : 175
Join date : 2009-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Petstores   Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:15 pm

Actually, there is an overpopulation as far as those being kept as pets. There were 5 ferrets at the shelter, and 14 hamsters. They told me that very few of these animals get adopted. Most are euthanized. That word really doesn't fit what happens in a shelter. They're killed, plain and simple. People get these animals at pet stores but then decide they're too much bother.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1628
Reputation : 120
Join date : 2009-09-28
Location : Southern California, USA

PostSubject: Re: Petstores   Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:21 pm

Ann wrote:
Actually, there is an overpopulation as far as those being kept as pets. There were 5 ferrets at the shelter, and 14 hamsters. They told me that very few of these animals get adopted. Most are euthanized. That word really doesn't fit what happens in a shelter. They're killed, plain and simple. People get these animals at pet stores but then decide they're too much bother.

I guess its the same problem everywhere Frustrated

_________________


For more information on your furry companion visit K9Domain!
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
schnauzkyLVR
Academy Guru
Academy Guru
avatar

Posts : 334
Reputation : 43
Join date : 2009-11-06
Location : Seattle, WA

PostSubject: Re: Petstores   Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:05 pm

I wouldn't buy any pets from a pet store because they are probably all treated a bit poorly ...if one is, especially dogs and cats, then why think a guinea pig would be any different.

great topic for discussion!

I would always look at shelters first and adopt Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1628
Reputation : 120
Join date : 2009-09-28
Location : Southern California, USA

PostSubject: Re: Petstores   Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:25 pm

schnauzkyLVR wrote:
I wouldn't buy any pets from a pet store because they are probably all treated a bit poorly ...if one is, especially dogs and cats, then why think a guinea pig would be any different.

great topic for discussion!

I would always look at shelters first and adopt Smile

Shelters and rescues are probably the place I'd go. I haven't seen any around here though, so thats why I didn't know that they took in animals of all shapes and sizes! Nervous But now I do!

_________________


For more information on your furry companion visit K9Domain!
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Petstores   

Back to top Go down
 

Petstores

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
K9academy :: Miscellaneous Forums :: Other Pets -
Forumotion.com | Nature and Escape | Dogs | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Free forum