K9academy


HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in

 

 Treats?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Author Message
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1628
Reputation : 120
Join date : 2009-09-28
Location : Southern California, USA

PostSubject: Treats?   Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:00 pm

Everyone has their own way of teaching their dog that what they are doing is correct. What do you use to reward your pooch? Food treats? Pats? Games? All of these? Wink

_________________


For more information on your furry companion visit K9Domain!
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
Betterdog4u
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 1139
Reputation : 222
Join date : 2009-10-19
Location : Eastern Iowa

PostSubject: Re: Treats?   Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:16 pm

In my training, I used several things depending on what I am trying to accomplish.

In Quick responce training I use treats.

Long Term I phase out the treats and use Tactile rewards such as petting, body rubbing, face stroking and scratching. I also use thier favorite toys. If they love the toy, they will do anything to get a chance to play with it!

After building a trusting relationship and establishing a strong bond, verbal praise is enough because they simply JUST want to please me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ABETTERDOG4U.com
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1628
Reputation : 120
Join date : 2009-09-28
Location : Southern California, USA

PostSubject: Re: Treats?   Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:06 am

I think that is an ideal schedule. My dog jr isnt as fond as touching as with food rewards. But allowing him to go outside or a walk is something he considers "high value". Patricia McConnell makes a great point when she says that we have to remember that a reward in one context may not be a reward in another. For example, a dog loves pats but also likes fetch...the best reward when playing ball would be to throw the ball and not necesarily a pat on the back. Its an interesting thought...

_________________


For more information on your furry companion visit K9Domain!
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
Betterdog4u
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 1139
Reputation : 222
Join date : 2009-10-19
Location : Eastern Iowa

PostSubject: Re: Treats?   Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:39 am

Steven_L wrote:
I think that is an ideal schedule. My dog jr isnt as fond as touching as with food rewards. But allowing him to go outside or a walk is something he considers "high value". Patricia McConnell makes a great point when she says that we have to remember that a reward in one context may not be a reward in another. For example, a dog loves pats but also likes fetch...the best reward when playing ball would be to throw the ball and not necesarily a pat on the back. Its an interesting thought...
Agreed, Patchs LOVES treats ... but when we are having "playtime" she will leave treats on the floor if I am tossing one of her favorite toys around!!! This is a perfect example that rewards change value depending on the situation.

I feel that one of the biggest mistakes most ppl make is: they do not pay attention to what the dog likes and wants ... This doesnt mean that you let the dog run your life. It simply means that you need to be "in tune" so you can take advantage of your dogs mood and personality.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ABETTERDOG4U.com
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1628
Reputation : 120
Join date : 2009-09-28
Location : Southern California, USA

PostSubject: Re: Treats?   Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:22 am

Lol Junior is the opposite, he`d leave a toy for treats anytime. Just goes to show that all dogs are different... And to think there are some that think dogs dont have personalities!

_________________


For more information on your furry companion visit K9Domain!
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
Betterdog4u
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 1139
Reputation : 222
Join date : 2009-10-19
Location : Eastern Iowa

PostSubject: Re: Treats?   Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:37 am

Steven_L wrote:
Lol Junior is the opposite, he`d leave a toy for treats anytime. Just goes to show that all dogs are different... And to think there are some that think dogs dont have personalities!

Ppl who think that dogs dont have personalities have obviously got thier eyes (and thier minds) closed tight!!!! pale

This one difference between Patchs and Jr is a perfect example of why it is wrong to think that all dogs can be trained using the same method and why it is important to "get to know" the dog before beginning any training!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ABETTERDOG4U.com
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1628
Reputation : 120
Join date : 2009-09-28
Location : Southern California, USA

PostSubject: Re: Treats?   Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:22 pm

betterdog4u wrote:

Ppl who think that dogs dont have personalities have obviously got thier eyes (and thier minds) closed tight!!!! pale

This one difference between Patchs and Jr is a perfect example of why it is wrong to think that all dogs can be trained using the same method and why it is important to "get to know" the dog before beginning any training!

Couldn't have said it better myself! Cool

_________________


For more information on your furry companion visit K9Domain!
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
schnauzkyLVR
Academy Guru
Academy Guru
avatar

Posts : 334
Reputation : 43
Join date : 2009-11-06
Location : Seattle, WA

PostSubject: Re: Treats?   Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:07 pm

I do all of the above. I play with my lil guy as much as possible..he usually tires me out, aha! funny how what is! ..then when i ask him to do tricks i reward him with his treats and carrots. He loves them!

Every once in a while i will buy him a new toy to change things up and get him super excited!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eduardo
Forum Member
Forum Member


Posts : 64
Reputation : 15
Join date : 2009-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Treats?   Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:44 pm

I don't train my dog, but I have tried to but never got to it. Maybe I could get started today.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://publicgaming.go-forum.net/forum.htm
Eskira
Junior Member: lv 3
Junior Member: lv 3
avatar

Posts : 14
Reputation : 20
Join date : 2009-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Treats?   Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:44 pm

When I trainning with my dogs, I use food and game. Wink

But when I trainning with sheep, I use simplelly the work "i'ts good!" because the best award for my dogs i'ts working with sheep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1628
Reputation : 120
Join date : 2009-09-28
Location : Southern California, USA

PostSubject: Re: Treats?   Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:08 pm

schnauzkyLVR wrote:
I do all of the above. I play with my lil guy as much as possible..he usually tires me out, aha! funny how what is! ..then when i ask him to do tricks i reward him with his treats and carrots. He loves them!

Every once in a while i will buy him a new toy to change things up and get him super excited!

Hahaha my doxie loves carrots but if I gave Junior carrots when he did a trick he would probably think I'm punishing him (he hates vegies)

Eduardo wrote:
I don't train my dog, but I have tried to but never got to it. Maybe I could get started today.

Thats a great idea Cool Its takes some time but you can do it, just find whatever your dog likes (ham, toys, anything). One of the responsibilities of having a dog is training them, so by starting to train you are doing what it takes to be a responsible dog owner cheers

Eskira wrote:
When I trainning with my dogs, I use food and game. Wink

But when I trainning with sheep, I use simplelly the work "i'ts good!" because the best award for my dogs i'ts working with sheep.

Using verbal praise when herding is good because they probably enjoy herding sheep so much to come back to you and get a piece of food every time they did something good. Wink

_________________


For more information on your furry companion visit K9Domain!
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
Betterdog4u
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 1139
Reputation : 222
Join date : 2009-10-19
Location : Eastern Iowa

PostSubject: Re: Treats?   Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:10 pm

Eduardo wrote:
I don't train my dog, but I have tried to but never got to it. Maybe I could get started today.
Not to step on Steven's site, but if you want to teach your dog some basics, you can go to www.abetterdog4u.com. I have some very simple to follow articles you can use!!!

_________________
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit Patchs' Website
My Best Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit Neka's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit Chip's Memorial Website

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ABETTERDOG4U.com
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1628
Reputation : 120
Join date : 2009-09-28
Location : Southern California, USA

PostSubject: Re: Treats?   Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:02 pm

Betterdog4u wrote:
Eduardo wrote:
I don't train my dog, but I have tried to but never got to it. Maybe I could get started today.
Not to step on Steven's site, but if you want to teach your dog some basics, you can go to www.abetterdog4u.com. I have some very simple to follow articles you can use!!!
Not a problem at all Michael! ABD4 has great articles and I wouldn't hesitate one second to recommend it to others Cool

_________________


For more information on your furry companion visit K9Domain!
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Treats?   

Back to top Go down
 

Treats?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
K9academy :: Dog Forums :: Dog Training and Behavior -
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Free forum